top of page
105706272_845484842527077_5918112268503810209_n (1) - Copy.jpg

Our Story

A far as can be ascertained from available records, the future St. Stephen-on-the-Mount began around 1904 with open air services in the George Summer's theatre which stood on the Mountain Brow at the head of Wentworth Street.  There services held in the open air were pleasant and the view of valley, lake and city was breath-taking.  The services continued for two summers and then it was felt, because of attendance at the services and increasing population, that it was time to make a canvass of the families who adhered to the Church of England in that area.

By the Spring of 1907 a new mission was ready to go forward.  A committee was struck to find a church for the little mission.  Eventually they bought the unused Anglican church of St. Stephen's in Strabane.  It was transported to Hamilton Mountain by horse and wagon and placed on the vacant lots the mission congregation had just bought.  A vestry was added on the west side.  The wooden walk up to the church made a path through a field that was full of uncut grass and weeds.  The only buildings between the church and the mountain brow were a few summer cottages.  

The church itself was very small.  It had only about seven pews, a very small sanctuary and a little organ.  The small choir sat in the chancel almost in the lap of the congregation.  It was a small congregation to be tackling the establishment of a city church.

But they were growing.  By 1909 the congregation had established a Sunday School, a Missionary Guild, a Brotherhood of St. Andrew organization for men and a Chancel Guild.

The "Mission of Holy Trinity" became the parish of St. Stephen-on-the-Mount on September 16, 1914 with the appointment of the Rev. John Samuel as Deacon-in-charge under the direction of Rev. J.W. Ten Eyck of St. Peters, Hamilton.  John Samuel was ordained priest on May 30, 1915.  Church and rector were to be bound together for the first 45 years of the history of the parish.

The Ministry of Canon William Simpson was from 1959 to 1973.

The Ministry of Rev. Desmond Fleming was from 1974 to 1996.

The Ministry of Canon Scott McNaughton was from 1996 to 2020.

bottom of page